The interior was renovated or repaired four times since 1800. It was repaired by Henry Fairfax in 1838-39, again after the Civil War, and was significantly remodeled in 1908. The most extensive renovations were completed in 1959. At that time, the galleries - which had been anticipated in Wren's design, but were omitted from the original construction - were finally installed and a new chancel was added. The structure of the church, except for repairs of war damage and the chancel addition, is the original 1769 construction.
West Entrance (Narthex)
This entrance on Washington Street has been the main entrance since about 1873. In colonial times the principal entrance was by the south doors; it remained so until the interior was changed with the repairs following the Civil War.
The aisles in the colonial church were in the same location as they are today, but were somewhat wider and paved with tiles. Box pews, each with a door and a slightly raised floor, were located in the center of the nave and to each side. That arrangement remained substantially unchanged until 1861. Between 1861 and 1865, the interior of the church was gutted. The present interior dates from 1959.
This stone font is from the colonial period. It was taken to the Star Tavern by a Union soldier and consigned for shipment to his home around 1863. It was recognized and hidden by local townspeople, and returned to the church in 1876.
The present chancel was built in 1959 by removing part of the original east wall. Until then, the holy table and communion rail were along that wall. Until the Civil War, colonial-era tablets with the Lord’s Prayer, Ten Commandments, and Creed hung above the altar. These, too, were destroyed during the war. The eight tiles below the present table are from the original 1769 aisles.
The wide space between the two center windows in the north wall marks the location of the colonial pulpit, which was high, reached by several steps, and had a sounding board above it. In 1838, the pulpit was moved nearer the east wall in the chancel area. Its present site dates from 1959.
EDUCATION & ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
The addition of classrooms, office space, and Nicolson Auditorium was completed in 1959.
The pipe organ, installed in 1967, is the first in this church. Built by the Schantz Organ Co., the 750-pipe instrument is divided into two sections. The great organ is exposed on the gallery rail, and the swell organ is enclosed in a case on the west wall.